Monday, February 4, 2008

Nike Coach of the Year Clinic

I just got back from presenting at the Nike COY Football Clinic in Chicago. Craig Bundy and his staff did a tremendous job of hosting and making sure that everything went smoothly. If you ever get a chance to attend, I highly recommend it.

I spoke along side some great college and high school football coaches. I was the only strength and conditioning coach, so my talk was very well attended. But, I have to tell you, that it still amazes me how few programs have yearly organized strength and conditioning programs. Some schools don't have the resources, staff or facilities to make it happen, but it shouldn't be an excuse. I was glad to see many of the coaches in my presentation approach me during the weekend with a desire to learn more about how they could improve their own programs.

Here is a little overview of my presentation. My talk covered our four phase plan on developing the physical development of our athletes: Post-season, Off-season, Pre-season, In-season. Every phase builds upon the next one as the year progresses.

Post-Season:
1. Active Rest
2. Program Evaluation
3. Injury Assessment
4. Surgery-Rehabs
5. State of the Program

Off-Season:
1. Orientation Process
2. Expectations
3. Testing
4. Program Design

Pre-Season:
1. Football-Specific
2. Tactical Elements
3. Volume
4. Intensity

In-Season:
1. Medical Staff Relationship
2. Daily Injury Reports
3. Injured Player Adjustments
4. Strength Training
5. Conditioning
6. Recovery Techniques

I will be speaking at the Indiana Hall of Fame Clinic at Earlham College this coming Saturday. If you are interested and would like to hear some great professional and college colleges speak about how they make their programs work and be successful, this is the place to be this coming weekend.