Friday, January 18, 2008

Billy and Ripken Baseball

I recently spoke at the OHSBCA Clinic in Columbus, Ohio about Developing Strength and Conditioning Programs for High School Baseball. Billy Ripken spoke before me on situational hitting and fielding. The man can keep things loose. I have to say that if anyone gets a chance to hear the Ripken brothers speak, Billy or Cal, you won't regret it. Ripken Baseball does an outstanding job of helping coaches around the country to improve their coaching strategies to help young baseball players.

I have to say that as a strength and conditioning coach, I learned quite a bit during his talk. The way he involved the crowd, and his presence on the stage was something I'll never forget. The man had four coaches on stage fielding situational double plays at full speed! By the end of the talk, the coaches had gotten new nicknames, heard more spanish slang they couldn't understand and tweak groins and low backs. But they all left with smiles and a better appreciation of the coaching style of Billy Ripken and Ripken Baseball.